Broken Shovels Farm Sanctuary is a safe place for animals rescued from abuse, neglect, slaughter and exploitation. We are not a petting zoo. We do not breed or sell animals. Occasionally animals are rescued already pregnant, they and their children will live out their lives here and will never be separated, sold or used.
For our public events, we have invited you into our animals’ safe space. Please treat them with kindness and respect. You are visiting their home; they are not here for human entertainment. When you are visiting, please follow all posted rules for the safety and comfort of the animals and visitors. Those individuals in violation of any posted signage or rules will be asked to leave.
Rules for Visitors
- Enter at your own risk. We suggest visitors wear appropriate closed-toe footwear to the sanctuary. Be aware that any clothing/footwear/accessories worn to the sanctuary may be chewed on, soiled or possibly damaged.
- Adults are responsible for supervising their children.
- DO NOT open any gates and keep out of roped off areas.
- NO companion animals are allowed. This means NO DOGS.
- Enter at your own risk. Animals will nibble on clothes, shoes, fingers, etc.
- DO NOT put hands through fences.
- DO NOT chase, hit, yell at, or otherwise mistreat the animals.
- DO NOT feed goats near our guardian dogs.
- DO NOT climb on fences, gates, hay, etc.
- DO NOT attempt to pick up any animals.
- DO NOT feed anything off the ground or put anything in water buckets.
- DO NOT leave trash in the animal pens.
- Fruits and veggies MUST be cut up in bite-sized pieces and all rubber bands, ties or other packaging MUST be removed.
- Fruits and veggies cannot be brought in plastic bags, instead use reusable containers or paper bags.
- If food falls on the ground, leave it!
PROHIBITED FOODS: Grapes, potatoes, onions, raisins, stone fruits (cherries, peaches, etc.), bread or wheat products and absolutely nothing with animal products.