Want to Volunteer to Help the Animals?
**Volunteering at Broken Shovels Farm Sanctuary is not for everyone and if you cannot reliably fulfill your chosen commitment, please consider not submitting an application at this time. You can still be a sanctuary advocate by sharing our social media posts and events!**
Below are the available volunteer positions:
- Public Events Guide – Assisting with property clean up, event set up, welcoming guests to the sanctuary, etc. This is a 2-3x a month commitment and almost exclusively on Sundays. If you enjoy the socialization of talking to people about the animals, this position might be for you! Light to moderate physical activity.
- Animal Care Assistant – This involves refilling and cleaning the waters for our feathered and 4-legged residents and can include light property clean-up or other animal care tasks. Must be able to commit to one 3-hour shift per week during morning (7:30-10:30am) or afternoon (2pm-5pm) chores for at least 6 months. Moderate physical activity. Those interested must be able to work in all kinds of weather. This position requires a much higher level of commitment as we put so much time and training into our animal care assistants and we staff based on your scheduled volunteer time. Therefore a deposit of $100 is required for those interested in this position and can be refunded after the position requirements have been fulfilled.
- Saturday Barn Scrape – Don’t mind mucking stalls? This involves scraping the barn every or every other Saturday and can involve other clean-up tasks as well. Applicants need to be comfortable being around the animals and be able to work independent of sanctuary staff (but will be working alongside other barn scrape volunteers). Moderate to heavy physical activity. Those interested must be able to work in all kinds of weather.
Broken Shovels is a hard-working sanctuary meaning we are constantly busy with animal care, sanctuary infrastructure projects, fundraising and outreach. Our ultimate priority is caring for the animals that call the sanctuary their home and we consider caring for and working with them to be a privilege. It is important to understand that we rely strongly on committed, reliable volunteers. You will have the chance to spend a little supervised time with the animals while learning about what we do to make life safe and comfortable for our residents, but the work comes first.
- Potential volunteers must be at least 18 years old. We cannot accommodate a parent/guardian with anyone under the age of 18.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds and be able to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Must have a valid state-issued driver license or ID.
- A donation of $50 for the Public Events Guide and Saturday Barn Scrapes positions will be payable on your first volunteer day. Animal Care Assistants will pay the $100 deposit (which is refundable after position requirements have been fulfilled) on the first volunteer day.
- We currently do not accommodate group volunteering or community service-based volunteer work.
If interested in the above mentioned positions, please click the link below to be taken to the application. Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance into the volunteer program. If your application meets our requirements to volunteer, you will receive an email at the beginning of each month with that month’s schedule. For example, if you apply anytime in March, a volunteer coordinator will email you after the first of April with April’s schedule.
Volunteers are crucial and we are thankful for any and all time you’d like to help, but in order to provide the best care for our animal residents, our staff, our current volunteers, and our sanity DO NOT apply more than once or send emails to the main sanctuary email or DM/PM for earlier access. Sorting through these types of inquiries is time consuming, clogs up inboxes and impedes important rescue work. Please trust that we want your help, are thrilled to have you, and we will get in touch according to the timeline indicated. All volunteers must complete an application, read and sign the release and waiver of liability and pay the donation of $50 for Public Events Guide and Saturday Barn Scrapes OR $100 deposit for Animal Care Assistant applicants prior to starting any work.
Volunteering at Broken Shovels Farm Sanctuary is not for everyone and if you cannot commit reliably to our needs mentioned below, please do not submit an application. Potential volunteers need to be at least 18-years old.
If you have a love of all animals and are dedicated and reliable, we’d love to have you join our volunteer group.
Below are areas we currently need additional help:
- Public Events — Assisting with property clean up, on and off-site event set up, welcoming guests to the sanctuary, engaging visitors in conversation, etc. This is a minimum 2-3x a month commitment and usually involve Saturdays/Sundays.
- Habitat Helper — Clean up and inspection of animal areas, primarily chickens and main sanctuary areas as well as mucking the barns. This is a 2-hr weekly commitment.
- Errand / Vet Running — On an as needed basis during typical weekday business hours, running animals to and from vet appointments, picking up foster dogs, emergency medicine.
- Occasional Project / Work Day — Typically a once a month commitment, weekend day(s). Can include light construction, clean-up, painting, animal pen maintenance, fencing, etc.
Broken Shovels — a Working Sanctuary
Please understand that we rely strongly on committed, reliable volunteers and we expect anyone who completes an application to put in work, not just to visit and take photos with the animals. Broken Shovels is a working sanctuary meaning we are constantly busy with animal care, sanctuary infrastructure projects, fundraising and outreach and we work very hard. We do not have time to entertain individuals looking for a free tour. This sounds harsh, but our ultimate priority is caring for the animals that call the sanctuary their home and we consider caring for and working with them to be a privilege.
At this time we do not offer any internships.
We are not currently able to accommodate group volunteering. As we house a lot of animals, we prefer to screen individuals who could potentially have access to our property and animals and we currently cannot do that effectively with groups.
How to Apply
If interested in the above mentioned positions, please apply by clicking the Volunteer Application button. Please understand that we care for many animals and we may not respond as promptly as expected. All volunteers must complete an application as well as sign the release and waiver of liability prior to starting any work.